Past shows by Between the Bars
- October 2019Set in the late 19th Century, Spring Awakening follows the lives of several teenagers living in a small provincial town in Germany as they struggle against the strict rules and punishments of their teachers and parents. Based on Frank Wedekind's controversial play of the same name, and featuring an electrifying indie-rock score, Spring Awakening is an exploration of young love and what happens when society struggles to be open about sex and sexuality. Spring Awakening opened on Broadway in 2006 and received eleven Tony Award nominations winning eight, including best musical, best book, and best score. Warning - contains sexual themes, language and content
- September 2018
- July 2017November 1963. Three young marines on the eve of their deployment to Vietnam set out for one final night of partying and debauchery. In his efforts to win a cruel bet with his fellow recruits, Corporal Eddie Birdlace meets Rose, a vulnerable and idealistic waitress. After an inauspicious beginning, an awkward love story begins to unfold....
- August 2013Between the Bars return to Edinburgh in August 2013 with a new play by Rachel Jarmy called I'll Be Seeing You. Set in Cambridge in 1940, I'll Be Seeing You offers a dramatic and poignant insight into life during the Second World War. Three interweaving personal stories play out as the air raid sirens drone over the town that thought it was safe.
- September 2012Stephen Dolginoff's multi-award winning musical explores the chilling true story of Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb who, in 1924, committed one of the most heinous crimes of the twentieth century. Leopold, fuelled by his intense, obsessive love for Loeb, acts as a willing accomplice to his lover - a man who seeks his thrills through a series of escalating misdemeanours. However, the dark and destructive nature of their relationship ultimately pushes them to the brink of their passions and towards the perpetration of the most horrific of crimes. They believe they have committed the perfect crime, but are they both so sure? Intriguing and shocking by turns, Thrill Me explores the toxic relationship of two wealthy, intelligent Chicago students who become forever dubbed in history as the ‘thrill killers’.
- September 2012A look at the diverse lives and situations of three separate inhabitants of one cubicle of a busy accident and emergency department , in one 24 hour period. A touching, amusing and always thought provoking insight into the real human stories behind the sensitive, unique, and often deeply personal life changing moments and revelations that are so often witnessed only by the four walls of the room.